My last post was about Oki-sensei’s description of what the natural body, natural mind-heart and natural life-style are for human beings and that yoga is a system of ‘philosophy and practical methods’ that teaches this to us.
In this post, I summarised two lectures from an English booklet ‘Last Lectures by Masahiro Oki’. The lectures are one given in Finland on 28 June 1985 (pages 5-10) and another given in Belgium on 15 July 1985 (pages 33-37). Oki-sensei draws our attention from lofty ideals (as per the last post) to very practical indications which we can apply in our daily life. He says the following:
Attendees of the lectures suggested many subjects such as love, religion, peace, health, and yoga. He decided to speak how to create peace, because in ‘peace’ all aspects of human beings are included. After the Second World War, he decided to become a peacemaker and joined many so-called peacemakers’ groups. However, he found that there were many paper- or mouth-peacemakers but they were not necessarily peaceful themselves. Then he realised that, if we want to create a peaceful world, each person must be in a peaceful condition, where we need three elements: peaceful body, peaceful mind-heart and peaceful life-style. He concretely indicates as follows:
How to create Peaceful Body
- Keep your muscles flexible.
- Keep your spine stretched.
- Keep your breath deep.
- Keep your blood clean.
Yoga Asana and Pranayama teach these.
How to create Peaceful Mind-heart
Obtain a balanced state in emotions, desires and intellect.
- Emotions and desires come spontaneously, not by thinking. When some thought or feeling comes, don’t deny it. But, think ‘what is the opposite thought or feeling to this one?’ If you think well, you will find there are so many ways of interpretations. Then bring in the opposite thought or feeling to the one which originally occurred to you. Through this practice, your mind will come to feel alright whether this way or that way. Unbalanced thoughts or feelings come because your ability of adaptation is weak.
- To keep your intellect peaceful, you must distinguish what you understand from what you don’t understand.
How to create Peaceful Life-style
Peaceful Lifestyle means the life-style where we help each other and develop together. This is love. There are two causes for human quarrels: egoism and attachment. How to practise this kind of life-style is as follows:
- You do not need to deny about possessing things, but utilise them as public things, or for both yourself and others.
- Whatever you do, keep its benefits for yourself and others at 50% each. Keep your own joy and other’s joy at 50% each.
Oki-sensei showed us both lofty ideals and practical indications. I think that having these both is one of the beautiful features of Okido Yoga.